Saturday, July 14, 2012

wonderful slow days

It was about 2 weeks ago, but I remember it fondly because I rarely have a day off. I drove to Ballard to spend the afternoon with my friend Alison and her boxer pup Oliver. I brought over some curry paste that I got at Uwajimaya (it's one of the few that doesn't contain shrimp!) The three of us walked to the store and bought some veggies and fruit.  We made a really delicious curry, it could have used some Thai basil, but hey, hindsight is 20/20. Even though we were stuffed, I insisted we make this gluten-free blueberry crumble crisp I had read about on Glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com. While she made the most delicious coffee in a melitta, I got to work on the dessert. 

Recipe: I followed the recipe exactly except divided the love between blueberries and raspberries.  It calls for virgin coconut oil, which I rarely use but have on hand. I loved the coconut oil so much I think I'm going to start using it as my main pan frying oil. I especially love that it's safe to cook at high heats. If you are trying to watch your sugar intake, honey or agave could be added in. But I haven't tried that, so no promises!

Tasting notes: While I loved the crunch of the quinoa flakes, my gluten loving friend found them a little odd. She did eat two helpings though, if that says anything. In my opinion, it is amazing. All I can say is try it for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. I still have your curry in my fridge! I'll bring the basil next time we cook.

    ReplyDelete