Saturday, August 11, 2012

French Onion Soup Tartines

Yesterday our good friend gave us more plums than I can count. They reminded me that last year I used to make a breakfast stone fruit crisp almost every day for 3 weeks; that will definitely have to be reinstated. Today was the farmer's market and honestly, none of the food was calling to me. There were some purple string beans that looked interesting, but nothing that really caught my eye.  So I'm not sure what recipe I'm going to try next. We will have to wait and see.

I hope you love onions and much as I do.

This recipe is adapted from Vegetarian Times:

French Onion Soup Tartines

2 Tbs olive oil, divided
1 medium sweet onion, quartered and sliced
1 medium red onion, quartered and sliced
3 small yellow onions, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch thick slices
2 Tbs dry white wine
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1/2 tsp honey
1 sprig fresh thyme
4 large slices of country bread (I used gluten free bread, toasted)

1. Heat 1Tbs oil in saucepan over medium heat. (I used my dutch oven because I needed something big to hold everything.) Add sweet onion and red onion, cover, and cook until onions begin to brown. This took me 30 minutes.

2. Heat remaining 1Tbs oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add yellow onion slices, and cook 5 minutes on each side, or until browned. Transfer to plate.

3. Add wine to sweet and red onion mixture and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in broth, honey, and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Partially cover, and simmer 10 to 20 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated.


4. Toast the bread and top first with the onion mixture then the onion slices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment